Saskatchewan’s Two Seasons
Storage Tips from Our Regina Partners has embedded a video highlighting a part of what makes storage in Saskatchewan a challenge and an opportunity. As the old joke goes, we have two seasons – winter and mosquitoes. Our seasons are a study in extremes and require different gear. This causes our garages, basements, sheds, to be cluttered and disorganized.
In winter a typical Regina home may need snow blowers, winter tires, car battery chargers, parkas, shovels, Christmas tree decorations, ski or snowboard equipment etc. but none of this is needed in the summer. In the summer we break out our lawn chairs, our bicycles, our beach equipment, our BBQ’s, our boats and our camping gear. None of which is needed in winter. This means we need to cycle our seasonal gear out of storage every six months to make sure we have room for our cars in our garage. To do this efficiently we need to keep our stored gear organized and easily accessible. Here are some tips to help you accomplish this and save you time while you prepare your gear for the season!
Tips to Make your Seasonal Storage Simpler
- Bubble wrap is the best material for protecting your breakables. It is reusable so can be reused from season to season and it is see-through so you can easily identify what it contains.
- Make identifying the contents of your boxes easier by labeling the boxes on all sides.
- Reuse the same boxes by using two colors of marker. One for winter contents and one for summer contents.
- Always organize your storage unit so that the more regularly accessed stuff is at the front and the less frequently accessed equipment is at the back.
- Sometimes what you need isn’t going to be in front. Leave room down the center of your storage container to reach the stuff in the back.
- Awkward shaped stuff like shovels, rakes, or ski poles can be kept in a garbage can and pulled out when needed.
- Wardrobe boxes are a great way to store your seasonal clothes. When summer comes around pull out your wet suit and hang up your parkas.
Our Regina office understands Saskatchewan’s two seasons and your temporary or permanent storage needs. Give Cam King a call at (306) 690-9936 for a free quotation or advice.